This page can very easily get out of date. If you find an
error, for instance a listed shop is no longer in business, please
send me an email and I will correct it. I thank you very
much for your assistance!
In order from north to south (map):
- Marple EC Wed; br.1, br.2: i Water, rubbish disposal, CRT sanitary station (SPO), shopping centre (downhill from br.2), banks, PO, pubs,
restaurants, cinema, swimming pool, busses, rail stations, vet
(0161-427 3035), taxi (0161-426 0177), Tel adjacent br.2.
- Hawk Green, Marple EC Wed; br.3: General stores, PO, launderette, chippy, off licence. Pub ¼ mile uphill.
- High Lane; br.11: Tel, PO, petrol station, 2 newsagents, supermarket, Indian restaurant/takeaway, Chinese restaurant/takeaway, Chinese take away, chippy, pizza/kebab takeaway, 2 sandwich shops, hardware, pubs.
- Higher Poynton: i Braidbar
Boats (Ian & Louisa
Bryceland 01625-873471); boat fitting, inspections, hire boats. Bailey’s Trading
Post (01625-872277); chandlery, fuels, maps & guides,
canalia, teas, ices, provisions, day boat hire. Water point.
Tourist information centre 100m. Coffee Tavern and general store,
and pub nearby, 250m. Vet: Evergreen,
63 London Road South, Poynton (24hr 01625-859019), more than
1 mile from canal. Anson Mining Museum, ½ mile along Anson
- Wood Lanes; br.18: Lyme View Marina (01625-858176), Tel,
Lyme Breeze Restaurant, pub nearby,
- Whiteley Green; br.25: overnight mooring, pub/restaurant nearby.
- Bollington; Clarence
Mill: Cross to mill by footbridge 26A: Café Waterside (Weds-Sun,
Centre (Wed 1.30-4.00, Sat, Sun 11.00-4.00), The
Creative Spaces Studio; (check opening times).
- Bollington EC Wed; Clarence
end: i Down the steps by aqueduct turn right
200-400m along Palmerston Street: Tel,
variety of shops, Chinese chippy, many pubs, restaurants including Italian (Briscola lunch
and dinner Mon-Fri dinner Sat, book 01625-573898), English (Lime
in High Street, book, Oliver's in High Street, Michelin listed, book 01625-575058),
Indian (Viceroy ½ mile,
up Ingersley Road), Indian takeaway (Indian Express - delivery
service available), Chinese chippy takeaway. No PO at this end
of town. The
Weave Oriental carpets, Persian rugs and tribal furniture,
entrance from Clarence Road at end of mill.
Down Hurst Lane from br.27 and continue along Palmerston Street
and Wellington Road to just past the railway viaduct: Co-op Foodstore
(with free 24/7 atm) immediately on the right.
Town plan on notice board on towpath opposite mill. Alternative
easier walk: cross canal footbridge 26A by Clarence Mill and
walk down Clarence Road to Palmerston Street. Turn left for all
facilities mentioned above.
- Bollington EC Wed; West
Bollington about halfway between br.27 and Adelphi (mooring
difficult): 250m down Hawthorn Road to PO, chemist, Waterhouse
Medical Centre (08443-878481), Right at bottom to Co-op Foodstore
(with free 24/7 atm).
No pubs here!
- Bollington EC Wed; Adelphi
end: Bollington Wharf Leisure (01625-575811), repairs,
pump out, day boat. Uphill
100m: corner shop. Downhill 200m, left at Bayleaf
butcher, ladies hairdresser, pet supplies;
right: variety of shops including butcher,
Chinese chippy, baker, gents hairdresser. Veterinary surgeon (beside
Grimshaw Lane aqueduct, west side). Note that the Co-op has
moved! See above. Town plan on notice board on towpath beside
- Kerridge; Tinkers
Clough Nature Reserve, entrance to west from br.28.
- Kerridge; between br.28 and br.29: Dry dock (John Jackson
01625-574287), pump out, diesel, repairs. Pleasant ¼ mile
walk along drive then left ¼ mile to Bull's
Head pub. No shops. Along towpath ½ mile to Bollington - see entries
above. From dry dock find towpath at br.28 via field path at
left of dockyard gate.
- Hurdsfield; br.34: uphill: no shops but pub 100m.
Downhill: a few shops including PO, Chinese chippy, Tel,
pub all 100-200m; pub and laundrette
400m. ¾ mile to Macclesfield
town centre (see below); ½ mile to Tesco supermarket
(24hr Monday 08:00 - Saturday 20:00, Sunday 10:00-16:00) free atm,
petrol station (24hrs).
- Macclesfield; around br.37: i water
point, local shops,
all boat services at Macclesfield
Canal Centre (01625-420042), Brook Street (off Buxton Road),
moorings, boat services, slipway, Tel. No PO here. Major
shopping centre ½ mile in town centre, all banks, PO (in
WH Smith from 5/3/2015), Tel.
Indoor market daily; outdoor market Tue, Fri & Sat.
Many pubs and restaurants. Tesco supermarket (times above): down
hill, turn right through Fence Avenue then left. Park Green
Medical Centre (01625-429555). Vet: Wright & Morten,
38 Cumberland St. (24hr 01625-433321). Police,
Brunswick Street (Cheshire call centre 101). Links: Town map; ~ Cheshire East Council (tourist information); Traveler's
World tourist information; Historic
- Sutton; (Gurnett) aqueduct (south of br.43): pub.
Sutton village is ¾ mile away with PO, general store, Tel, pubs.
Best short term moorings on the canal! Pub/restaurant adjacent
- Lyme Green; br.45: Gas, diesel, petrol station with shop, out of town shopping centre (no food), 10 pin bowling alley. Uphill: Tel.
- Oak Grove; (Fool's Nook, br.49): i pub (closed
- Bosley; top lock: i water (also by br.53),
rubbish disposal, CRT sanitary station (pre-payment card required).
Post box and Tel 400m
west at Station Road. Also i below bottom lock.
No easy access to shops or pubs.
- Br.61: pub up the hill ¼ mile+.
- Buglawton; br.66: Co-op Foodstore ¼ mile.
- Buglawton; br.68: Water, no shops; to south west, towards Congleton; pub 300m; shops at some distance.
- Congleton Hightown EC Wed; br.75:local
shops, chippy, PO, general store, pharmacy, off licence (200m),
takeaway, hardware, bakery, hairdresser, railway station, pubs.
- Congleton town centre; br.75: Roads from br.68, br.75
and Dog Lane aqueduct (nearest) lead to major shopping centre
1 mile in town centre, banks, PO, Tel, many pubs, etc.
Market Tue & Sat. Vet: Wright & Morten,
18 Moody Street (24hr 01260-27322). Police (Cheshire
call centre 101).
- Congleton; Dog Lane aqueduct: i uphill
100m to Canal Road Store (open late), Tel. Pub immediately
- Astbury; 1 mile north west from br.79-80: Tel, pub.
Very pretty village and green. Glebe
Farm shop and café plus lots for
children to see and do. Astbury Mere (public water park) ¼ mile
north of village along main road.
- Scholar Green; north of br.87: Heritage
Narrow Boats (01782-785700); Pump-out, slipway (24ft),
diesel, moorings, gas, water, chandlery, repairs, hire fleet
and day boat. Also souvenir shop with food basics. South of
chippy in housing estate.
- Kent Green ¼ mile west from br.91: 'Late Shop', Tel. pubs. At the stop lock: water.
- Red Bull (on Macclesfield Canal): moorings permanent & temporary, details from CRT Red Bull office (below); pub nearby.
- Red Bull (on T&M Canal): CRT depot; 150m down from Pool Lock aqueduct; 3 locks down from Hardings Wood Junction; i water, rubbish disposal, sanitary station (SPO). Sanitary station at Harecastle tunnel mouth. Next sanitary station north bound is at Wheelock; south at Etruria.
- Butt Lane ¼ mile uphill from Red Bull Inn: Choice of shops, PO, Tel, chippy, pubs, restaurant. 'Late Shop' open 07:30-21:30 most days.
- Hardings Wood Junction: i two pubs,
access to Kidsgrove town centre.
- Kidsgrove: 400m from Hardings Wood Junction. Go via
Hardingswood Road and right on Liverpool Road or along T&MC
towpath towards Harecastle Tunnel then up steps at footbridge
by railway and through station yard. Wide variety of shops and
services, PO, Tel, chippy, pubs. Tesco superstore on Liverpool
Road near junction with Hardingswood Road, petrol station. Solid
i - information (usually a board)
EC - early closing
Br.# - bridge number
Tel - public telephone
PO - Post Office
atm - cash machine. These often take a variety of cards, but if it is not your bank remember that you may be charged a transaction fee!
The Co-Op Foodstores (small supermarkets) normally close at 21:30.
SPO - self pump out