Boatyards and canalside services
Note that none of these entries are paid advertisements. The webmaster includes them in this page in good faith and provides no warranty as to the competence of the individuals or companies nor any guarantee of quality for their services, products or work.
In order from north to south (map):
- Canal & River
Trust; Top Lock, Church Lane, Marple SK6 6BN; sanitary
station and wharf (no customer service here). The length
between bridges 1 and 2 is managed by CRT North West Waterways,
Waterside House, Waterside Drive, Wigan, WN3 5AZ (01942−405700).
- Stockport Canal Boat Trust New Horizons (0161−430
8082); Marple Wharf, Church Lane, Marple; charity boat specially
built for wheelchair access offering daytime trips along the
- North Cheshire Cruising Club (01663−765581); High Lane br.12; services to boat club members only. Not always manned.
- Braidbar Boats (01625−873471) Peter Mason; Lord Vernon's Wharf, Lyme Road, Higher Poynton SK12 1TH;
br.15; boat fitters, water,
gas, diesel, inspections, boat safety examiner.
- Constellation Cruises (01625−873471); Lord Vernon's Wharf, Lyme Road, Higher Poynton SK12 1TH;
br.15; hire boats.
- Bailey's Trading Post (01625−872277); Lord Vernon's Wharf, Lyme Road, Higher Poynton SK12 1TH;
br.15; chandlery, local books guides and postcards, food basics,
ices, pump out, day boat.
- Mary Sunley 2 Canal
Boat (01477 537458); Lord Vernon's Wharf, Lyme Road, Higher
Poynton SK12 1TH; br.15; charity boat
specially built for wheelchair access offering daytime trips
along the canal.
- Lyme View Marina (01625−858176); Wood Lanes, Adlington br.18; moorings.
Wharf Leisure (01625−575811, email); Bollington
Wharf, Grimshaw Lane, Bollington; boat fitters, water, gas,
diesel, engineering services, day boat.
- Kerridge Dry Dock (01625−574287) John Jackson; The
Barn, Oaklands Farm, Oak Lane, Kerridge
between br.28 and br.29; dry docking; bottom painting, repairs.
- Bourne Boat Builders (07515 129674, 07915 539205);
Dry Dock, Oak Lane, Kerridge.
- Freedom Boats (01625−420042); Marina, Brook Street,
(off Buxton Road), Macclesfield south of br.37; moorings, slipway,
- Canal & River
Trust; Bosley top lock. Service centre
including sanitary station, self pump out, water, showers, washing
- Heritage Narrow Boats (01782−785700)
operated by Mike Dowse for Sherborne Wharf; The Marina, Station
Road, Kent Green, Scholar Green, Stoke-on-Trent; north of br.87;
hire fleet and day boat, pump-out, slipway (24ft), diesel, moorings,
gas, water, chandlery, repairs, souvenir shop with food basics.
The following businesses are not tied to any particular canal location and may provide service over an extended range. Please phone them for details.
- Rupert Smedley,
Hazelhurst Cottage, Denford, Leek ST13 7JT
(01538−385388, 07973 538690, email).
Boat Safety Scheme Examiner, ABSE member.
Forest Canal Carrying Company, Furness Vale
(07791 345004, email).
Brian McGuigan and his boat Alton (right) cruise
the upper Peak Forest and upper Macclesfield canals usually
every second weekend selling coal, diesel, fenders and other
consumables. When travelling further afield in summer Brian
also cruises the lower Macclesfield canal. Follow Brian on
Twitter. This service was previously run by George Boyle
who has now retired.
- Andy Russell, The Boat Painter. At various
boatyards along the canals of the north west. 37 Barnaby Road,
Poynton, Cheshire SK12 1LR
- Barry G. Stanton CRT and EA Approved
Boat Safety Scheme Examiner (01663−762635). Based
at Whaley Bridge.
- P & S Bent, Joiners internal joinery for boats
and homes (0161−338 7623). Based at Stalybridge.
- Rob Shone Mobile Narrowboat Joinery repairs,
alterations, redesign (01782−542082, 07742 216002).
- Lewis Light Machinery service and repairs to outboard
motors and generators (01625−859739). Honda spares from
stock. Based at Adlington (nr. Poynton).
- "Jim" boat and engine servicing, reconditioning of
inboards or outboards, fuel systems, stern drives, fibreglassing
(0161−427 8155 or mobile 0378−425877). Based
- Trevor Hunt auto engineer, boat engine servicing (0161−480 3885
or at home 01663−744700). Based at Stockport. Trevor is
a committee member of The Macclesfield
Canal Society and has his own steel narrow boat, Jack,
normally moored on the Caldon Canal.
- Mike Frith Boat Safety Scheme Examiner (0161−737 7208
or mobile 0860−166810). Cheshire and North West.
- P.J. Hopley, Acorn
surveyor (0161-336 2680).
Cheshire and surrounding area.
- Brian Hayes and Michael Ian Crompton CRT Approved
Boat Safety Scheme Examiners (Brian 01928−732444,
Ian 01928−787333). Cheshire, Wirral, Merseyside,
Greater Manchester and North Shropshire.
- Paul McCarthy Boat Safety Scheme Examiner
(01704−892803 24hrs). North West.
- Jalsea Marine will come out and do Cert Of Seaworthiness
and deal with the
Manchester Ship Canal Co paperwork for you when you want to take your
boat on the ship canal.
Marine Services, the local specialist rope product
suppliers, complete with necesary splicings, plus other related
boat hire available from Whaley Bridge (Peak Forest
We list here any service that has some particular interest in the canal:
- Chris J. Beard FRSA,
water colour artist. Daisybank
Elm Beds Road Poynton SK12 1TG Tel: 01625−877813, email. The gallery is adjacent to the canal at Higher Poynton
- from br.15 cross the playing field to the main gate and Elm
Beds Road is on your left. Chris includes many local waterway
scenes among his repertoire.
Crystal, 261 Coppice Road, Poynton SK12 1SP
Tel: 01625−874421, email.
Glass engravers - many canal and boat orientated commissions
already executed. Located a few minutes from Higher Poynton wharf
We would be interested to hear from other artists who could be included in this section together with other service providers who look to waterway users among their clients. Email the webmaster.